Advocacy in Action
Advocacy in Action calls are held at 10 a.m. on the second Monday of each month and are a no-cost, monthly member benefit where members are invited to check in with LeadingAge Ohio advocacy staff and member advocates on the latest policy news from Columbus.
Listen to the post-election briefing, facilitated by LeadingAge Ohio legislative counsel, David Paragas and Bridget McAuliffe of Barnes & Thornburg to gain an in-depth understanding of the election results, including which districts flipped, freshmen legislators we’ll be working with in the new year, and what the election results mean for the upcoming budget process.
Invite Your Legislator to Your Organization
Hosting your federal legislators gives them the chance to meet their elder constituents and learn more about your organization’s work for older adults. It also gives you the opportunity to become a "go-to” organization for policy makers when it comes to issues related to aging services.
This guide includes the resources you need to plan, promote and execute a successful congressional visit. It features an event timeline and sample resources that will help you make the most of this opportunity for your organization and the people you serve.
Here are 4 important guidelines to keep in mind throughout the planning process:
Before you contact your legislator, it is important to review the issue you are planning to discuss. This is useful whether you are meeting in person, calling his or her office, or sending an email. Talking points are available for:
LeadingAge Ohio staff offer testimony on various issues impacting our members and the Ohioans they serve daily. From reimbursement rates for services across the continuum to the impact legislation can have on an individual in the final phase of his/her life, LeadingAge Ohio advocates for each and every Ohioan allowing your voice to be heard. Copies of testimonies are highlighted below.
- LeadingAge Ohio Testimony on HB 606 (6/24/20)
- LeadingAge Ohio and Member Testimony to Ohio House Aging & Long Term Care Committee (6/10/20)
- LeadingAge Ohio Testimony on SB 308 (5/13/20)
- LeadingAge Ohio Testimony on HB 606 (5/13/20)
- Letter to Central Ohio Primary Care Regarding Patient Communications (5/8/20)
- Letter to Speaker Householder Regarding COVID-19 Crisis (5/6/20)
- Letter to DeWine Administration Regarding Ventilator Supplies (4/6/20)
- Letter to DeWine Administration Regarding Nursing Home Admissions (3/31/20)
- Letter to DeWine Administration Regarding COVID-19 Crisis (3/16/20)
- Joint 1135 Waiver Request to CMS (3/16/20)
- Letter to DeWine Administration Requesting Relief for Home Health, Hospice (3/16/20)
Political Action Committee
Director of Strategic Communications
- Serves as lead member communications and media strategist for key association initiatives
- Oversees digital strategy, including websites, newsletters and social media channels
- Provides strategic direction for communicating organizational goals and achievements to members, partners, policy makers and the media
- Serves as primary contact for media inquiries
- Staff liaison to Communications/PR committee
Susan Wallace, MSW, LSW
Chief Policy Officer
- Primary contact for policy priority development, advocacy and legislative affairs
- Staff liaison to Advocacy Committee, Adult Day Subcommittee, Home Health, Hospice & HCBS Subcommittee, Housing Subcommittee, Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Facility/Assisted Living Subcommittee