Invite Your Legislator to Your Organization
Hosting your federal legislators gives them the chance to meet their elder constituents and learn more about your organization’s work for older adults. It also gives you the opportunity to become a "go-to” organization for policy makers when it comes to issues related to aging services.
This guide includes the resources you need to plan, promote and execute a successful congressional visit. It features an event timeline and sample resources that will help you make the most of this opportunity for your organization and the people you serve.
Here are 4 important guidelines to keep in mind throughout the planning process:
Before you contact your legislator, it is important to review the issue you are planning to discuss. This is useful whether you are meeting in person, calling his or her office, or sending an email. Talking points are available for:
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Home and Community Based Services
- Affordable Senior Housing
- Long Term Services and Supports Financing
- Regulatory Reform
LeadingAge Ohio staff offer testimony on various issues impacting our members and the Ohioans they serve daily. From reimbursement rates for services across the continuum to the impact legislation can have on an individual in the final phase of his/her life, LeadingAge Ohio advocates for each and every Ohioan allowing your voice to be heard. Copies of testimonies are highlighted below.
- Senate Budget Testimony May 2017
- House Aging and Long-Term Care Committee Testimony May 2017
- House Finance Subcommittee on Health and Human Services March 2017
Certain committees have more oversight over long-term services and supports than others. The following Committees are important ones for LeadingAge Ohio members:
- Aging and Long Term Care
- Finance Subcommittee on Health and Human Services
- Financial Institutions, Housing and Urban Development
- Ways and Means
Political Action Committee
Susan Wallace, MSW
Director of Government Relations and Public Affairs
- Primary contact for policy priority development, advocacy and legislative affairs
- Liaison to Advocacy Committee, Home Health, Hospice & HCBS Subcommittee