Core of Knowledge
The Core of Knowledge course is designed specifically for the Administrator-In- Training (AIT) participant. This course meets the special academic requirement set by BELTSS for qualifying to take the state licensure board examination. Ohio participants should call the Board at (614) 466-5114 to arrange their AIT
internship. The Core may be taken at any time during the process: before, during, or after the internship. Core hours do not count towards the internship hours.
The content of the course is designed to provide information and promote understanding that will lead to more effective performance in the administration of long-term care. The subject areas listed below have been recommended by the National Association of Long-Term Care Administrator Boards and endorsed by BELTSS.
These topics are included in the Core of Knowledge course:
1) applicable standards of environment, health and safety;
2) local health and safety regulations;
3) general administration;
4) psychology of care;
5) principles of medical care;
6) personal and social care;
7) therapeutic and supportive care and services in long-term care;
8) departmental organization and management; and
9) community interrelationships
2020 Core of Knowledge Winter Dates
January 13- January 30, 2020
Classes will be held Monday through Thursday for three weeks from approximately 9:00 a.m. to 5:00
p.m. each day. A final course schedule and further details will be sent out a few weeks before the class begins.
Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center
100 Green Meadows Drive South
Lewis Center, OH 43035
Note: Each participant is responsible for his/her own lodging and meal arrangements. We encourage you to make your hotel reservations as early as possible.
Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center offers Core of Knowledge students the following overnight
room rate: Single: $127
A limited number of rooms have been blocked at the special rates above. Please make your reservation
no later than three weeks prior to each week. Mention you are attending the BELTSS Core of Knowledge
for the group rate. The hotel may have additional rooms available once all of the Core of Knowledge rooms are gone, but they may not be at the special rate. To make a reservation, call the hotel directly at 866-233-9393 and ask for Reservations before December 22, 2019. For directions or additional
information, please visit the hotel’s website at www.nwhotelandconferencecenter.com.
Tuition for the Core of Knowledge Course is $1,200. The Tuition includes all instructional materials including:
• 1-year subscription to the NAB Study Guide
• Accounting Made Simple, Mike Piper
• Alive Inside DVD
• The Long Term Care Survey, American Health Care Association
• Principles of Health Care Administration, 2017 Edition, Joseph Townsend
• NHA Practice Exam packet prepared by Joseph Townsend
• Ohio Nursing Home Law & Rules Packet
Students will have access to all web-based self-study assignments. In addition refreshments and snacks will be available to students during the face-to-face classroom dates. Tuition does not include lodging, lunch or dinner. Credit card registrations are accepted. Space is limited, register today to insure your spot.
Enrollment is open to anyone interested in becoming a nursing home administrator as well as those
wanting professional training in nursing home administration.
Per 4751-1-16 of the Administrative Code, section (5)(a) requires 100 clock hours of study in core of knowledge subjects. Therefore this course will include face-to-face classroom learning as well as several self-study assignments. Students will complete web-based self-study, traditional DVD as well as written assignments. Students must attend every day of the face-to-face classroom presentations as well as complete all self-study assignments to successfully graduate from the BELTSS Core of Knowledge.
Certificate of Completion
All those satisfactorily completing the course will receive a certificate which satisfies the requirement with the Board of Executives for Long Term Services and Supports (BELTSS).
How to Register:
Registration Deadline: January 3, 2020
Two Easy Ways to Register
By Mail: DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE and mail form with payment to:
2233 North Bank Drive
Columbus, OH 43220
To pay by check or money order, please make check payable to LeadingAge Ohio.
Online: CLICK HERE to register online.
Online registration is required when paying by credit card.
Cancellation & Substitution Policy
Should you not be able to attend the BELTSS Core of Knowledge as planned, please notify the provider at least ten business days prior to the first face-to-face classroom date. Student understands cancelling their enrollment will void any web-based self-study assignments completed prior to the date of the cancellation.
Cancellations received through December 30, 2019 will be fully refunded. Cancellations December 31, 2019 – January 6, 2020 will be refunded minus a $150 cancellation fee. Cancellations received after January 7, 2020 will be charged the full registration fee.
Core of Knowledge Program Contacts
Eligibility and Core Requirements
Investigator, NHA Changes, AIT Coordinator
614-644-7518 / JCunningham@age.ohio.gov
Education & Special Projects Coordinator
614-545-9036 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Ohio Health Care Association
614-436-4154 / email@example.com
Education & Events
Annual Conference & Trade Show
Education and Special Projects Coordinator
- Assists with coordination of all professional education events, including planning, development, and implementation
- Assists with coordination of special projects and initiatives, including Leadership Academy, Employer of Choice and ltcGAIN
- Assists with all Continuing Education credentialing requirements and processes
Anne Shelley, MBA, BSN, RN
Director of Professional Development & HH/Hospice Regulatory Relations
- Reviews state and federal policies and regulations and provides technical and regulatory support to Home Health and Hospice members
- Works with state and federal agencies and regulatory bodies to develop policy and rules for the home health and hospice industry
- Provides education for hospice and palliative care providers related to regulatory and operational issues
- Responsible for overseeing all educational offerings provided by LeadingAge Ohio